COVID-19 Resources & Helpful Links
As the COVID-19 pandemic rapidly evolves so does the information and insights around it. To help our research, clinical, and patient communities navigate this fast-moving situation, we've curated the critical data, perspectives, and internal and external resources on COVID-19. We'll be updating this page frequently so check back often for newly added resources. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to share a resource or feedback on how we can best support you during this challenging time.
This page was last updated on May 21, 2020.
Published research by Northwestern Nephrology researchers
- Renin-Angiotensin System Blockers and the COVID-19 Pandemic
A.H. Jan Danser, PhD, Murray Epstein, MD & Daniel Batlle, MD
Review in Hypertension.
- Soluble angiotension-converting enzyme 2: a potential approach for coronavirus infection therapy
Daniel Batlle, MD, Jan Wysocki, MD, PhD & Karla Satchell, PhD
Article in the Portland Press.
- Therapeutic strategies in an outbreak scenario to treat the novel coronavirus originating in Wuhan, China
by Robert L. Kruse, MD, PhD
Cites article in Kidney International published by Jing Jin, MD, PhD & colleagues: Novel ACE2-Fc chimeric fusion provides long-lasting hypertension control and organ protection in mouse models of systemic renin angiotensin system activation
- Acute Kidney Injury in COVID-19: Emerging Evidence of a Distinct Pathophysiology
Daniel Batlle, Maria Jose Soler, Matthew A. Sparks, Swapnil Hiremath, Andrew M. South, Paul A. Welling, Sundararaman Swaminathan and on behalf of the COVID-19 and ACE2 in Cardiovascular, Lung, and Kidney Working Group
Perspective in Journal of the American Society of Nephrology.
Northwestern Nephrology: News, Webinars, & Podcasts
- Kidney Failure Often a COVID-19 Complication
May 11, 2020 - WebMD | Featuring: Daniel Batlle, MD
- Doctors keep discovering new ways the coronavirus attacks the body
May 11, 2020 - Washington Post | Featuring: Daniel Batlle, MD
- NUGoKidney Webinar: CRRT for AKI during the COVID-19 Pandemic
April 29, 2020 | Special Guest: Ashita Tolwani, MD, University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB)
- Managing High Blood Pressure During the Coronavirus Pandemic
April 2, 2020 - US News & World Report | Featuring: Daniel Batlle, MD
- ACE2-Fc as a COVID-19 Antiviral Therapy
March 30, 2020 - Northwestern Medicine Better Edge Podcast | Featuring: Jing Jin, MD, PhD
Curated Libraries, Online Guides, & Research Databases & Resources
- Northwestern Office of Research COVID-19 Research Clearinghouse
Local and global resources curated from across Northwestern including funding opportunities, publications, collaborations, and more.
- Galter Health Sciences Library COVID-19 Resource Guide
Comprehensive resource containing information on the virus; latest articles and research; media reports; and dashboards.
- COVID-19 Open Research Dataset
Curated by the Allen Institute for AI, this free resource has over 44,000 scholarly articles about COVID-19 and the coronavirus family of viruses for use by the global research community.
Literature hub for tracking up-to-date scientific information about COVID-19, updated daily.
- New England Journal of Medicine – COVID-19 Articles & Resources
- National Library of Medicine (NLM) GenBank® Sequence Database
GenBank® is the world's largest collection of publicly available annotated nucleotide sequences. NLM is providing free and easy access to genome sequences from the novel coronavirus. Sequence data submissions are also welcome.
- Global Initiative on Sharing All Influenza Data (GISAID)
Online database and data-sharing platform for genome sequences and related clinical and epidemiological data associated with COVID-19.
Open-source, online resource with data from academic, independent, and government laboratories all over the world to visually track the genomics of COVID-19.
Guidelines, Recommendations, & Resources from Professional Kidney Organizations
- International Society of Nephrology COVID-19 Resource Page
Recommendations, compilation of resources, and visual abstracts for global kidney health community. See also recently published article The Novel Coronavirus 2019 Epidemic and Kidneys.
- NephJC COVID-19 Resource Page for Nephrologists
NephJC is covering all things COVID-19 on their resource page for nephrologists, which includes coverage of topics such as ACEi/ARB HTN, transplant, pediatrics, dialysis/CKD, and AKI.
- American Society of Nephrology: COVID-19 Information & Resources
Compiles resources, recommendations, and publications from ASN, CDC, and CMS related to protecting and caring for kidney patients during the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Archive of webinar recordings, slides, and resources on COVID-19
- ASN Recommendations on the Care of Hospitalized Patients with COVID-19 and Kidney Failure Requiring Renal Replacement Therapy
- Information for Screening and Management of COVID-19 in the Outpatient Dialysis Facility
- NTDS COVID-19 Resources Library includes publications and preprint articles.
- National Kidney Foundation COVID-19 Clinical Digest
Ongoing compilation of the latest clinical information on COVID-19 for clinicians caring for people with kidney diseases during the pandemic.
COVID-19 & Funding: New Opportunities & Current Grants
- NUCATS COVID-19 Funding Opportunities page
NUCATS is maintaining an up-to-date list of funding opportunities related to COVID-19 being released by National Institutes of Health and other funding agencies.
- NIH COVID-19: FAQs on COVID-19 Flexibilities for Applicants and Recipients
- NIH COVID-19 Information for NIH Applicants and Recipients of NIH Funding
Guidance on proposal submission, award management, human subjects / clinical trials, animal welfare, and peer review.
- Innovation & New Ventures (INVO): COVID-19 Invention Pipeline
List of the Northwestern technologies and faculty startups relevant to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Resources for Kidney Patients, Families, & Communities
- Northwestern Medicine Information and FAQs on COVID-19 and Kidney Disease
Information and answers to common questions related to kidney disease, kidney dialysis, and COVID-19.
- National Kidney Foundation (NKF) Staying Safe During Dialysis & the COVID-19 Outbreak
Dialysis patients should NOT stop their treatments during the COVID-19 outbreak. This resource outlines what all dialysis centers are doing to keep you or your loved one safe during treatment.
- NKF Comprehensive COVID-19 Guide
Kidney patients are at increased risk of becoming seriously ill from COVID-19. This guide includes tips for kidney patients, transplant recipients, and their caregivers on how to manage your health during the outbreak; medication information; travel and leaving home; and resources for coping and support.
- NKF Cares: Patient Information Help Line
Call 1.855.NKF.CARES (1.855.653.2273) or email email@example.com
English and Spanish speakers available Monday - Friday from 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Support line for people affected with kidney disease, organ donation or tansplantation.
- Polycystic Kidney Disease Foundation | Coronavirus & PKD: What You Should Know
Guidance and tips for patients with PKD
- American Kidney Fund | Coronavirus Emergency Fund for Recent Kidney Transplant or Dialysis Patients
One-time $250 grant for kidney transplant or dialysis patients. Funds may be used for food, medications, transportation, or other treatment essentials. Click here to register and apply.
- IPHAM's COVID-19 Resources Page: Educational resources, videos, handouts, and guides
IPHAM's Center for Food Allergy & Asthma Research have compiled a great list of resources and guidance for children, parents, and school administrators on COVID-19 prevention; talking to children about COVID-19; and managing difficult emotions during this challenging time.
- COVID-19 Health Literacy Project
Resource for accessible COVID-19 information translated into 30 different languages to help patients know when, and how, to seek care.
- Health Communication Resources for COVID-19 Response
Tips and resources from Society for Health Communication on communicating about COVID-19, addressing myths and misinformation, and plain language definitions for technical terms.
Chicago & Illinois COVID-19 Resources
- City of Chicago COVID Response Center
- Illinois Department of Public Health: COVID-19 Resources
- Cook County Dept. of Public Health: COVID-19 Case Counts, Fact Sheets, & Resources
- Chicago COVID-19 Resource Repository (Open to Edit)
Open, crowdsourced repository to support community organizations and members initiated by Northwestern's Center for Community Health & Alliance for Research in Chicagoland Communities (ARCC). Includes resources on physical/mental health, housing, childcare/education among many others. Feel to add any resources that might be missing at the link above.
- Northwestern Health Professions Graduate Students Chicago COVID-19 Assistance Request Form
Effort organized by Feinberg School of Medicine students to support health care workers, older community members at higher risk for COVID-19, and working parents during the pandemic. The group of more than 140 volunteers are accepting requests for help at the link above. Please share with anyone you know might be in need.
Ways You Can Help: PPE Donation & Equipment Availability
Grassroots organization of medical students from throuhgout Chicago working to facilitate PPE donations from community members to hospitals in need.
- Volunteer Databases for Scientist to share bench skills and resources to fight COVID-19
Started by Michael F. Wells, PhD, a postdoctoral fellow at Harvard. He has created a national database of U.S. scientists who are ready and willing to deploy their advanced skills, expertise, and access to reagents/equipment towards the fight against COVID-19 in their local communities. On March 24th, the list had already grown to 6,400 scientists from 49 states, Puerto Rico, and Guam.
Fill out the form to volunteer here
Request access to the database here
- NIH FAQ: Donating PPE and supplies acquired with NIH funds
Short answer - yes, you can donate PPE and supplies to support efforts related to COVID-19.
- Donate RNA Isolation Kits to Fight COVID-19
There is an urgent need for RNA isolation kits to complete COVID-19 testing. Learn what kits would be most helpful to NUSeq Core in helping mitigate the pandemic and how you can donate.